Ant McPartlin latest: Iain Lee brands TV host ‘inspirational’ as he continues to recover | TV & Radio | Showbiz & TV
The presenter has decided to continue to take time off work following his drink drive crash earlier in the year.
Iain, who came third in last year’s instalment of I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!, wished “good luck” to Ant in his recovery.
Speaking on ITV’s Good Morning Britain, Iain began by telling viewers he has also had addiction issues in the past and is currently in recovery. Back in June Iain posted on his website, IainLee.com, that he had previously had an “addiction to naughty substances and spicy drinks”.
Speaking about Ant McPartlin this morning, the TV and radio host said he believed Ant’s recovery was important, and wished the star “good luck”.
He said: “I think his recovery is more important and good luck to Ant, and let him sort it out and come back when he’s ready. He came back [to work] too soon. It would appear that people around him are saying there’s no rush.
“He’s very lucky to have employers who respect that, not everyone in that position has employers like that.”
Iain added that he found Ant to be “an inspiration to people that are struggling with addiction” during his heart-felt message.
“I’m in recovery and I wish him the best of luck. He pleaded guilty and stood up and now it’s up to him and his family and friends to get him clean and sober and get into a position where he is ready to come back.”
It comes after Ant, 42, posted a statement to his website yesterday saying how he would be focusing on his recovery and will be taking the remainder of 2019 off work.
He wrote: “My recovery is going very well and for that to continue having spoken to Dec and ITV, I have made the decision to take the rest of the year off.
“I’d like to thank both Dec and ITV for their continued support and I look forward to getting back to work in the new year.”
The news means Ant won’t be hosting I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! when the show returns in a few months time.
However, Declan Donnelly will still remain as part of the programme.
Iain also commented on speculation he could be joining Dec as a co-host.
He dismissed the rumours, saying: “It’s nonsense, we know Dec can do it on his own as he did the other shows on his own.
“Dec is capable of doing a show on his own, he can do the jungle.’
Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway will also be postponed until 2020.
Ant sent a message to fans last night thanking them for their response following the announcement.
Taking to the official Ant and Dec Twitter account, Ant wrote: “Thank you for all the messages of support. A x.”
Good Morning Britain airs weekdays at 6am on ITV.